MODE, LLC

MODE, LLC hero image

About MODE, LLC

HERE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE HISTORIC BUILDINGS ON OUR 2020 DISCOVERY MAP

(with their Discovery Map Grid Locators)

Beaufort’s older historical architectural marvels are privately-owned but can be toured during the Fall Festival of Houses and Gardens or during Homes for the Holidays.

Baptist Church of Beaufort: (c. 1844) 600 Charles Street...Congregation dates to 18th century. Ceiling ornamentation believed work of slaves. O4

Berners Barnwell Sams House: (c. 1852) 201 Laurens Street... Includes Beaufort’s only remaining slave dependencies, now apartments. N8

Carteret Street Methodist Church: (c. 1922) 408 Carteret Street... Methodism in Beaufort traced to 1737 when John Wesley visited. O6

Cuthbert-Scheper-Simmer House: (c. 1860) 915 Port Republic Street... Union soldiers turned this home into a backery in 1861. P4

Edward Barnwell House: (c. 1815) 1405 Bay Street... Built by great-grandson of Indian fighter “Tuscarora Jack” Barnwell. P3

Edgar Fripp House: (c. 1853) 1 Laurens Street... “Tidalholm” featured in “The Big Chill” and “The Great Santini.” N8

First African Baptist Church: (c. 1865) 601 New Street... Built by the Baptist Church of Beaufort for its African American members and in continuous use since the 1860s. N6

George Parsons Elliott House: (c. 1840) 1001 Bay Street... Beaufort-style mansion converted to office space. N8

James Robert Verdier House: (c. 1814)  501 Pinckney Street... “Marshlands” built by Verdier, pioneer in treatment of yellow fever. 08

John Mark Verdier House: (c. 1804) 801 Bay Street...Preserved MUSEUM after condemnation in 1942. Flagship of Historic Beaufort Foundation. Q6

John A. Cuthbert House: (c. 1810)  1203 Bay Street... Victorian elements added in late 19th century. Now Cuthbert House Inn. P3

Joseph Johnson House: (c. 1859)  411 Craven Street...“The Castle” one of “great houses of the South Carolina coast.”  O7

Lewis Reeve Sams House: (c. 1852)  601 Bay Street...“Prince of Tides” film site with raised, double porches, T-shape. Q7

Tabernacle Baptist Church: (c. 1840) 907 Craven Street... Stained glass windows made by parishioner. Robert Smalls buried here. O5

William Elliott House: (c. 1790) “The Anchorage” 1103 Bay Street...built by one of Beaufort’s few Secession opponents; remodeled in 1910. P4

William Fripp House: (c. 1830) “Tidewater” built by planter “Good Billy” Fripp, known for his generosity, and one of the area’s wealthiest 19th century planters. P8

Milton Maxey House: (c. 1813) 1009 Craven Street... Site of first meeting on Secession in South Carolina (“Secession House”) Now the Rhhett House InnP4

Parish Church St. Helena: (c. 1724) 507 Newcastle Street... Parish established in 1712. Some of state’s earliest families' in cemetery. O4

St. Peter’s Historical Roman Catholic Church: (c. 1846) 710 Carteret Street...  Built by Irish immigrants. N6

Santa Elena History Center: 1501 Bay Street... in the former Federal District Courthouse built in 1883. P2

The Beaufort Arsenal: (c. 1798, rebuilt 1852) 713 Craven Street... Housed Volunteer Artillery through WWII. P6

Historic Firehouse & City Meat Market: (c. 1911) 706 Scott Street... Corner Craven and Scott Street. Present location of the Reconstruction Era National Monument.