About Harry's Supermarket
During the summer of 1913, Harry Nichols Sr. and his wife, Alice, were walking (they had no car) along Pecks Road after visiting the grave of their firstborn son, Harold J, at St. Joseph's Cemetery. Ahead of them, at the corner of Wahconah Street and Pontoosac Avenue, was a two-story building with a small store on the ground level. Harry Sr. looked at the store and remarked to his wife that it would be a great location for a variety store. The following year, the property and building went for sale. Harry Sr. immediately made the necessary arrangements to make the purchase. He opened "Harry's Real Variety Store" in 1914. The business continues today, known as Harry's Supermarket. We pride ourselves on being a locally owned, 3rd generation, hometown store. Harry's two grandsons, Bob and Tom Nichols, know that their loyal customers are the reason the Nichols family has been able to serve their community for 97 years and will continue to do so for many more.