Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant

Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant hero image

About Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant

Begun in 1938 as a 12-stool restaurant with a small 2-kerosene burner stove, the Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant is today an East Coast institution that seats up to 500 people. Established by Captain Ted Garner, and Captain Tony Seamon at the request of their fishing charter customers who wanted to have a fish dinner without having to spend a day fishing themselves, the owners surely never dreamed from these humble beginnings that 75 years later, the restaurant would have fed millions of people, served many tons of seafood, be known far and wide throughout the US, be heralded as a famous “Must Stop” on the Intercoastal Waterway, and become as much as a landmark to Carteret County as its historical and recreational attractions.