About Norwood's Eatery & Treehouse Bar
Norwood's had its humble beginnings in New Smyrna Beach, not as a restaurant, but disguised as a Pan Am gas station and general store in 1929. In the ensuing years the site served as a mosquito control center, piggy bank factory, and then again a general store.
Earl Norwood bought the building in 1946 and turned it into Norwood's Seafood Restaurant, which he ran successfully until health forced him to retire. He sold Norwood's (already a tradition in New Smyrna Beach) to Mr. and Mrs. Bulchunis in 1953.
After 19 years of growth and continued success, the Bulchunis' sold Norwood's to Marvin Age, who carried on the tradition of fresh seafood and fine dining. The restaurant stayed the same until 1985, when Age expanded the building. Don Simmons joined Norwood's management team then, moving from Houlihan's Restaurant in Atlanta.
Simmons was already familiar with Norwood's, having worked in the kitchen while attending Daytona Beach Community College. He left to attend Florida State University in Tallahassee, but Age kept track of his progress and after graduation, brought him back as a manager.
Under leadership of Simmons and his carefully developed team, Norwoods has flourished and still features homemade sauces, salad dressings, filets locally sourced fish, and hand cuts aged steaks. When possible we source locally grown vegetables and seafood for our extensive menu.
Under the leadership of Simmons and a carefully developed team, Norwood's has flourished and still serves the same great seafood, complemented by innovations such as:
- over 30,000 bottles of wines
- aged Angus beef
- a retail shop featuring wines, champagnes, wine accessories, cheeses, pates, and local novelty items
- expanded seating and remodeled interior
- free Friday wine tastings