About Southold Historical Society = Horton Point Lighthouse
The Horton Point Lighthouse was constructed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1857. The tower is 58 feet tall and once held a third order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was managed by several men during its history until it was automated in 1933.
During a restoration project in 1990, the tower was repaired externally and internally and then relit and reopened. At that time part of the Keeper's House was converted into the Southold Historical Society's Nautical Museum.
The Lighthouse is listed on both the State & National Registers of Historic Places.