Exploring the Charming Towns of the Mad River Valley, Vermont
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:00 AM in Where to Stay
Nestled in the heart of Vermont, the Mad River Valley is a picturesque destination offering natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and a cozy small-town atmosphere. This region is known for its scenic landscapes, stunning mountains, and vibrant communities. If you're planning a visit to this charming part of Vermont, you might be wondering which towns are part of the Mad River Valley and where exactly Mad River, Vermont, is located.
Towns in the Mad River Valley
The Mad River Valley is home to several quaint towns and villages, each with its unique character and charm. Here are some of the prominent ones:
- Waitsfield: Waitsfield is often considered the central hub of the Mad River Valley. It's a vibrant community with a historic downtown area, boutique shops, and a variety of restaurants. The town is also famous for the Mad River Green, where you can find local farmers' markets and community events.
- Warren: Nestled at the base of Sugarbush Mountain, Warren is a ski lover's paradise. In the winter, it becomes a bustling destination for skiers and snowboarders. The town's Warren Store is a well-known gathering spot and a great place to enjoy a meal or coffee.
- Fayston: Located just south of Waitsfield, Fayston offers a quieter atmosphere. It's a perfect place for those seeking a more relaxed getaway. Here, you'll find peaceful accommodations, serene landscapes, and easy access to outdoor activities.
- Moretown: Further north of Waitsfield is the town of Moretown. It's a beautiful, rural area with opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, and exploring the natural beauty of the Mad River Valley.
- Duxbury: Duxbury is located to the west of the Mad River Valley. It's known for its proximity to Camel's Hump State Park, which is a great place for hiking and enjoying Vermont's wilderness.
Where is Mad River, Vermont?
You may have heard about Mad River, Vermont, and wondered where it's located. In reality, Mad River itself is not a town; it's a reference to the region surrounding the Mad River. The Mad River Valley encompasses the towns mentioned above and is situated in central Vermont. It's about 40 miles southeast of Burlington, Vermont's largest city, and 20 miles southwest of Montpelier, the state capital. This central location makes it easy to access the Mad River Valley from major cities in Vermont.
When planning your visit to the Mad River Valley, you'll find a wide range of lodging options, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to ski resorts, ensuring you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay in this beautiful part of Vermont.
Lodging in the Mad River Valley
When it comes to lodging options in the Mad River Valley, you'll find a variety of choices that cater to different preferences and budgets. Whether you're seeking the cozy charm of a bed and breakfast or the amenities of a ski resort, there's something for everyone.
Bed and Breakfasts
Bed and breakfasts (B&Bs) are a popular choice for visitors who want a warm and intimate stay in the Mad River Valley. These accommodations offer personalized service, home-cooked breakfasts, and a home away from home. Here are a couple of well-loved B&Bs in the area:
- The Yellow Farmhouse Inn: Located in Waitsfield, this charming B&B provides a delightful mix of comfort and hospitality. With its picturesque setting and inviting rooms, it's an ideal place to relax after a day of exploring the valley.
- West Hill House B&B: Situated in Warren, this B&B offers a peaceful escape surrounded by lush gardens. Guests can enjoy gourmet breakfasts, cozy rooms, and easy access to the Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski resorts.
The Mad River Valley is renowned for its winter sports, and several ski resorts cater to those seeking adventure on the slopes. Here are a couple of top-notch ski resorts in the region:
- Sugarbush Resort: Sugarbush is a major player in the Mad River Valley's skiing scene. With over 4,000 acres of skiable terrain, it's a paradise for skiers and snowboarders. The resort offers a range of lodging options, from slopeside condos to cozy mountain cabins.
- Mad River Glen: Known for its iconic single-chair lift, Mad River Glen is a favorite among skiers who appreciate its old-school charm and challenging terrain. While it doesn't have a traditional resort, you can find nearby accommodations in Waitsfield and Warren.
Whether you're a ski enthusiast looking for a thrilling winter vacation or a traveler in search of a peaceful B&B experience, the Mad River Valley has you covered. These are just a few examples of the many lodging options in the area.
As you plan your visit to the Mad River Valley, consider the activities you'd like to enjoy, the type of lodging that suits your preferences, and the specific town that best fits your itinerary. With its welcoming communities and stunning landscapes, the Mad River Valley is a hidden gem in Vermont that's worth exploring year-round.
Stay tuned for more information on outdoor activities and attractions in the Mad River Valley. Your adventure in this beautiful part of Vermont is just beginning.