Oatland Island Wildlife Center currently occupies over 100 acres of maritime forest and exhibits over 50 species of animals. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the land was a cleared farmland where cotton crops were planted and harvested. In 1927, the large white columned main building opened as a retirement home for the Brotherhood of Railroad conductors. During World War II, the center was used as a public Health Service hospital. Afterward, the Center for Disease Control used the facility as its Technical Development Laboratory. During this time, several new inventions were developed and tested here including the no pest fly strip. In 1973, the center and its facilities were declared surplus and were purchased by the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System. For the past 30 plus years, the center has been introducing school groups and other guests to the wonderful natural wildlife of Georgia and beyond. In 2007, the center was officially renamed the "Oatland Island Wildlife Center".